Overuse of antibiotics is a real issue these days resulting in, among others, gut damage impairing digestion and absorption as well as, paradoxically, also causing damage to our immune system located in the gut. It’s estimated around 90% of the immune system is found in and around the gut.
Fortunately, there are a number of herbs, plant compounds and foods that are beneficial natural ‘antibiotics’ and antiviral remedies. These can be taken with no side effects often experienced when using synthetic drugs.
They can prevent, lessen the impact and/or duration of bacterial and viral infections such as flu and colds, or simply keep you healthy throughout the cold season and during unexpected outbreaks of the flu.
Here are a few examples of better known natural ‘antibiotics’ and flu remedies for you to consider having in your home health kit.
- You may not know this but there are three species of Echinacea that are used medicinally: E. angustifolia, E. purpurea and E. pallida. Flowering tops, aerial parts, root and whole plant are used in herbal preparations. The root is the most active part.
- E. pallida is considered to be the least effective of the three species. Therefore when considering taking Echinacea, its quality and type of species are used in a herb preparation will determine your results or lack of.
- Echinacea root contains the highest levels of the immune stimulating alkylamides thus Echinacea root preparations should be used when strong immune modulating / immune system strengthening activity is required.
- The herb has many applications including for preventing and shortening duration of colds and flu, fever, bronchitis, blocked sinuses, aches and pains. It’s a true natural ‘antibiotic’! It is considered safe to take unless you know you have reacted to it before or are allergic to the daisy plant family.
- Herbs are powerful medicines and it’s best to consult a herbalist before taking Echinacea in greater quantity or for a long period of time.
- Elderberry is a powerful herb with strong immune-stimulating properties and it is one of the most potent antiviral remedies known to man. I use elderberry