Bee pollen works well for weight loss, who knew?
Bee pollen is one of the richest and purest natural foods known to men. It’s a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and proteins, supplying us with almost every essential nutrient necessary for good health.
I have been successfully using it with patients wanting to lose weight. Let me share my insights and experience with you here.
What is bee pollen?
According to Eden Foods, in its original state, bee pollen is a fine dust composed of thousands of microscopic particles that enable plants to reproduce via seed. Pollen is discharged from the anther of a flower and is the major food source for bees and other insects.
Worker bees travel from flower to flower collecting nectar and pollen as they move around. As the pollen covers the bee’s body, she brushes and packs it into specialised hairs on her hind legs to take back to the hive.
The bees collect more pollen than the hive needs, so beekeepers are able to collect the surplus in a mesh trap. As the bees enter a hive, they pass through a bank of specific sized holes where the pollen is gently removed and falls into a collection tray.
Quality of bee pollen is a very important consideration before using it. My favourite bee pollen product is Wildcrafted WA Bee Pollen from Western Australia. It’s raw and sun-dried, and ethically harvested from bees collecting pollen from seasonal blooms from native Western Australian trees.
These trees are located in the remote WA eucalyptus forests, not found near towns, cities or industry.
How does bee pollen work for weight loss?
Some of the reasons it works for weight loss include:
- It particularly stimulates metabolic processes which in turn speed up burning of calories.
- It corrects chemical imbalances that are usually involved in weight gain. This then regulates and stabilises appetite, at the same time is a natural energiser so you feel good whilst losing weight.
- It is a low-calorie food but tasty and easy to eat food.
- Rich in lecithin which helps with fat digestion and metabolism. This is also a reason why bee pollen lowers LDL and increases helpful HDL cholesterol.
- Because pollen is so nutritionally complete and balanced, it helps reduce food cravings. Its natural phenylalanine (an essential amino acid) content acts as an appetite suppressant.
- It has high protein content which helps to achieve improves satiety and lessens overeating. It contains more protein than any animal source and more amino acids than equal weight of eggs or beef (approximately 40% protein).
- Bee pollen is more valuable then both honey and royal jelly. It has a similar but more stable composition than that of royal jelly.
Please note, that it’s mandatory to test every person intending to eat bee pollen for possible allergy before ingesting it.
Needless to say, weight loss results are de