Although we hear more about how to correct high blood pressure (hypertension), low blood pressure (hypotension) can be equally challenging to improve.
I’m contacted regularly by individuals who want to know how to raise their blood pressure by using natural methods, where possible. Therefore, I wrote this post to share my experience, a few remedies and tips to show you how to use foods, herbs and lifestyle changes to raise blood pressure naturally.
At the end of this article you can download my popular do-it-yourself guide Low Blood Pressure eBook covering Nutrition, Herbal and Lifestyle Solutions to Increase Low Blood Pressure Naturally.
Let’s get started!
Causes of low blood pressure
There could be a number of reasons associated with low blood pressure and any medical condition that can potentially cause it needs to be investigated and excluded by your doctor before embarking on nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle changes.
Therefore it’s imperative to first check with your doctor for possible underlying medical causes of your low blood pressure such as any heart conditions, faulty brain signals or nervous system damage, to name a few.
Other causes of low blood pressure include:
- Acute or chronic dehydration
- Blood loss and anaemia
- Heat and humidity can worsen low blood pressure
- Severe allergies
- Acute, severe infections
- High stress and exhaustion
- Certain conditions can contribute to dysregulated blood pressure including adrenal fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, mast cell activation disorder, Lyme disease, POTS, some autoimmune disorders, histamine intolerance
- Some medications such diuretics, heart medications, levodopa (for Parkinson’s disease) and some antidepressants
- Large meals especially high in processed carbohydrates