Australian bush flowers are so remarkable in their beauty, colours and shapes! One of my favourites is Bottlebrush (Callistemon linearis), a common native tree that can grow up to 3 meters. The beautiful, brilliant red or dark pink flowers appear during spring and last for 2-3 weeks making the parks and gardens very beautiful and uplifting places indeed. I took the bottlebrush photos above recently during a morning walk.
The bottlebrush flowers are not only stunning to look at but they also have healing properties and are included in the Australian Bush Flowers Essences (ABFE) applied by natural medicine practitioners in Australia and elsewhere. ABFE have been used by the Australian Aborigines for thousands of years to bring about emotional balance and release negative feelings.
Flower essences are liquid plant preparations made directly from specially selected wild flowers. The remedies act on the energetic level in the body and are taken orally a few drops at a time acting as a catalyst for positive inner transformation, enhancing emotional and psychological wellbeing.
The modern bush flower essences were developed by Ian White, a Sydney-based Naturopath and Homeopath. Ian recommends using the bottlebrush remedy to:
- Help move through major life changes and enhances our ability to handle new situations better especially during adolescence, parenthood, pregnancy, divorce, menopause, retirement or death of a loved one, etc. It ‘brushes’ out the past and allows us to move on.
- Help in letting go of unhelpful habits and long-standing routines. If you have set ways of doing things such as always driving/ walking the same way to work, rarely change your hairstyle or type of clothes you wear, etc.
- Aid bonding between a mother and her child especially during pregnancy and just after birth as well as later in life.
- Heal unresolved mother issues.
I use this essence in clinical practice on a regular basis either on its own or in combinations, and find it helps with:
- Constipation and overloaded liver – it promotes letting go and energy flow through the digestive tract especially the small and large intestines.
- Individuals who can’t let go of things or emotions – e.g. people who are hoarders and those who bottle-up emotions resulting in high stress. It’s great for moving forward when feeling stuck in any area of your life.
- It aids in letting go of addictions of any type (in combination with other essences such as Monga waratah) including food, drugs and alcohol.
The Australian Bush Flowers are very safe to take and have no side effects. They are available for purchase in pharmacies, health food stores and online (see below). Anyone can buy this or other remedies if you recognise the above mentioned patterns in yourself and would like to release them.
Try using ABFE on your pets as well and watch them improve – which suggest that the changes are not due to a placebo effect.
Have you taken flower essences before? Comment below which essences have you used and why.
Good health and blessings
Adrenal Fatigue and Digestive Health Expert
Naturopath || Herbalist || Nutritionist || Reiki Practitioner
White, Ian, Australian Bush Flower Essences, Bantam Books, 2002